cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Add a group to a folder or sub folder NOT shared folder. C#

Add a group to a folder or sub folder NOT shared folder. C#

daniaaluyr
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello all,

Was wondering how to add a group to a folder. 

For example we have Studio/WIP/158987

I want to make it where i can add a group called designers (already created in the front end and has 2 users in it) to the 158987 folder. How would i do this?

I have tried Sharing.AddFolderMember but it requires a sharedFolderId. That leads to my next question. What leads to a folder being classes as a shared folder?

I am using the DropboxTeamClient as we are hoping to use this as a business.

Code below.

var dbx = client.AsAdmin(memId);
dbx.Sharing.AddFolderMemberAsync()
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

In order to add a group or member to a folder, that folder does need to be shared first.

If the folder is underneath a folder that is already shared, you may wish to add the group or member to that parent shared folder.

Or, you can share the specific folder itself. You can do so via the website as covered here, or via the API. In the .NET SDK in particular, you would use the ShareFolder method to do so.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

In order to add a group or member to a folder, that folder does need to be shared first.

If the folder is underneath a folder that is already shared, you may wish to add the group or member to that parent shared folder.

Or, you can share the specific folder itself. You can do so via the website as covered here, or via the API. In the .NET SDK in particular, you would use the ShareFolder method to do so.

daniaaluyr
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ahh i see.  Thanks Greg. I have got that bit working now. However how can i add a group?

So i have got the below: 

var members = new[] { new AddMember(new MemberSelector.Email("email")) };
 await dbx.Sharing.AddFolderMemberAsync(sharedFolderId, members);

There is no "AddFolderGroupAsync". Not that i could find anyway.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

To add a group, you should use the same AddFolderMemberAsync method, but you should use the MemberSelector.DropboxId selector (instead of MemberSelector.Email). You should put the group ID value there. Group IDs start with "g:". You can get the group IDs from GroupsListAsync/GroupsListContinueAsync.

Need more support?