cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Android ACTION_SEND changed.

Android ACTION_SEND changed.

Ifor P.
New member | Level 1

I have an Android app that interacts with other apps using the Intent.ACTION_SEND methodology.  This has been working will the Dropbox app until this week (Dropbox app now version 7.2.8) it's not stopped working as intended. 

The main purpose is to send a file generated from within the app so I am setting EXTRA_STREAM with the uri which is all that is really needed for DropBox but I also set some other extras for other apps most notably email clients e.g. EXTRA_TITLE, EXTRA_SUBJECT, EXTRA_EMAIL and EXTRA_TEXT.  I am now not getting to save the file but the Dropbox app thinks I am sending it some text ands asks me to specify a file name for the text. 

I presume this spotting the EXTRA_TEXT is new but the case with EXTRA_TEXT and EXTRA_STREAM I think needs to take the stream as a priority.

7 Replies 7

Paul R.17
Explorer | Level 4

I have a script installed on my Raspberry Pi to automatically upload nightly system archive files to Dropbox which has worked fine until now. However on or around 22nd April something has changed in Dropbox or it's API which has stopped my nightly uploads.

Could it be the same issue?

Paul

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the report! We'll look into it.

Also, for reference, Paul's report is due a different issue we're aware of.

Marian K.3
New member | Level 2

same issue, until now is worked fine for my raspberry pi II, but now, upload work fine, and download did "No such file or directory" ...

thx

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Hi Marian, this thread is about the behavior of the ACTION_SEND intent on Android. If you're having a different issue, please open a new thread with the details.

Ifor P.
New member | Level 1

Thanks Gregory,

Any more details I can give to help let me know.  I can confirm that if I remove the EXTRA_TEXT bit then things go back to as they were.  I now have the code special cased for Dropbox in my development version so it's liable to be released like that but it is not ideal having too many special cases in the code.

n. nobu
New member | Level 1
Intent intent = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_SEND);
intent.putExtra(Intent.EXTRA_TEXT, body);
intent.putExtra(Intent.EXTRA_STREAM, uri);
  • v6.2.4  - OK
  • v7.2.8  - NG

Dropbox bug in v7.2.8?

Intent intent = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_SEND);
intent.putExtra(Intent.EXTRA_STREAM, uri);
  • v7.2.8  - OK

AntonioC
Dropbox Staff

We've landed a fix that should be out in early June. Thank you all for your patience!

Need more support?