cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android (or Java) example of webhook implementation is needed

Android (or Java) example of webhook implementation is needed

Lev P.
New member | Level 2

Would Dropbox team so kind to write a code example for webhook on Android (or Java)? All I have found is the only one Python example and I have no idea how to rewrite it for Android.

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Can you elaborate on what your scenario is? Webhooks are meant for server-side apps, and require a pre-registered URI where Dropbox can send notifications. Perhaps you actually mean /longpoll_delta?

Lev P.
New member | Level 2

I am using the Core API to access files on Dropbox from client on Android device. I would like to get notification about user's file changes when it happens. Does it possible by means of webhook or should I use old "/longpoll_delta way" to do it?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Yes, for a client-side app, such as on Android, you should use /longpoll_delta. The /longpoll_delta endpoint and webhooks both serve the same basic purpose, that is, low-latency notification of changes, but they're built for different scenarios, that is, client-side apps and server-side apps, respectively. In both cases, they just tell you when to call /delta.

I don't believe we have a sample of using /longpoll_delta on Android specifically, but I'll be sure to pass this along as a request.

That being the case, I recommend referring to the blog post and documentation:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/core/docs#longpoll-delta
https://blogs.dropbox.com/developers/2013/11/low-latency-notification-of-dropbox-file-changes/

Lev P.
New member | Level 2

Thanks for clarification!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lev P. New member | Level 2
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?