cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication for command line app

Authentication for command line app

Panayotis V.1
New member | Level 1

I'm writing an app in Python, that needs to access the Dropbox APIv2. However, if I follow the typical OAuth flow for user authentication, I will have to include my APP_KEY and APP_SECRET in the source code -practically sharing it with anyone willing to have a look.

What is the suggested way of authentication users in a similar setup?

2 Replies 2

Re: Authentication for command line app

Greg-DB
Dropboxer

This is a general problem with using OAuth in client-side applications, since client-side apps like this can't keep secrets. OAuth 2 addresses this with the "token" or "implicit" flow. When using the token flow (as opposed to the "code" flow), the app doesn't need the app secret to get an access token for the user. You can find more information on the different flows in the documentation here:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/documentation/http/documentation#authorization

For a client-side app like this, you should use the token flow. Also, you didn't mention if you're using it, but for reference, the official Dropbox Python SDK is mainly meant for server-side apps, where the secret can be kept secret, so it doesn't support the token flow.

Re: Authentication for command line app

Panayotis V.1
New member | Level 1

Thank you Gregory.

Yes, I'm using the Dropbox Python SDK. Please consider supporting the token flow in a future release of the SDK.

Thanks again.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Panayotis V.1 New member | Level 1
    Greg-DB Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?