cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically Deleting Files After X Days - General Data Protection Regulation May 2018

Automatically Deleting Files After X Days - General Data Protection Regulation May 2018

outsidecoder
Helpful | Level 5

Hi there,

I'm using the Java SDK 3x (API v2) and I'm looking for pointers/code to automatically delete files that are X number of days old.  There is post on this forum which is doing this in python however not seen anything for Java.  I can't use any third party tools due to the context of my client's application.

With the European GDPR I feel this feature should be in built into the uploading process, that is defining a 'retention schedule' for all the files.  If this feature is going to be implemented will it be in time for when the Eurpoean GDPR  is active in May 2018?

Best regards and thanks for any assistance 🙂

14 Replies 14

ABC15
New member | Level 2

This would be a very helpful feature for companies like mine as we are dealing with 1000s of clinet's files and we only need them for 3 months. After 3 months they can be deleted from Dropbox automaticly instead we go through all files. It would be nice to have an option for not deleted from local computer. 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional feedback!

qopera
New member | Level 2

I've been looking for a way to automate deleting files from Dropbox for my company usage, and I recall reading this post late last year. Interestingly, in Feb, I found a site that support auto-deletion for files on Dropbox - it's called Fileql. I set up my personal Dropbox just to test this out and I'm still in my free trial period, but so far it seems to work as expected. You'll create a rule and schedule how often it should run and define the terms for the rule. Hopefully, this works for someone else.

Unfortunately, I'm not a developer so don't know how to hack these things so I'm sticking to these guys if all goes well.

Joachim_H
Explorer | Level 4

Is there any chance that this feature will finally be introduced?
Since 2018 this requirement exists in this thread
My company is in dire need of this feature.
We will have to look for another cloud provider otherwise

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Joachim_H While this isn't available/configurable via the Dropbox API as originally requested in this thread, the Dropbox product does offer a retention policy feature that may be helpful.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Joachim_H Explorer | Level 4
    qopera New member | Level 2
    ABC15 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?