cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic understanding of of Dropbox API .NET

Basic understanding of of Dropbox API .NET

mvatt
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I'm not sure if it's just me but I'm having a real hard time trying to understand the very basics of the .NET API. The tutorial recommended that I create an app which I could then connect to via api secrets and what not. How do I access this app? Is there no way to create/edit folders and items in UI? Is it possible to use the API to connect to another person's dropbox folder (even though they don't have the 'app' that was created for api)? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

When you "create" a Dropbox API app on the Dropbox App Console, you're essentially just registering an app with us so that you can access the Dropbox API. Exactly where and how you write the code that does so is up to you, as is the UI for your app.

For instance, if you're writing a project in .NET (say, in Visual Studio), we recommend using the official Dropbox API v2 .NET SDK, as it will do much of the work of connecting to Dropbox for you. 

For instance, to create a folder, you would use the CreateFolderV2Async method, or to upload a file you can use the UploadAsync method.

To allow arbitrary end-users to connect their own Dropbox accounts to your app, you should implement the OAuth app authorization flow in your app. The .NET SDK offers a helper for that. I recommend checking out the included examples as a sample of how this works.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

When you "create" a Dropbox API app on the Dropbox App Console, you're essentially just registering an app with us so that you can access the Dropbox API. Exactly where and how you write the code that does so is up to you, as is the UI for your app.

For instance, if you're writing a project in .NET (say, in Visual Studio), we recommend using the official Dropbox API v2 .NET SDK, as it will do much of the work of connecting to Dropbox for you. 

For instance, to create a folder, you would use the CreateFolderV2Async method, or to upload a file you can use the UploadAsync method.

To allow arbitrary end-users to connect their own Dropbox accounts to your app, you should implement the OAuth app authorization flow in your app. The .NET SDK offers a helper for that. I recommend checking out the included examples as a sample of how this works.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?