cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Boxcryptor Classic on mobile can no longer connect to Dropbox folder

Boxcryptor Classic on mobile can no longer connect to Dropbox folder

marco e.2
Explorer | Level 4

Hello.

I would like to report a problem of using Dropbox from the Boxcryptor Classic app.

From early February 2018, from mobile devices, the Boxcryptor Classic app is no longer able to connect to the encrypted folder on Dropbox.

Reading the forums, it seems that the problem is due to a new version of Dropbox API, which is no longer compatible with Boxcryptor Classic mobile.

I wonder why Dropbox has modified this API making it incompatible with the ecosystem...

This is a big shame, because the pair Boxcryptor + Dropbox is very used. Many users (myself included) will be forced to abandon Dropbox and switch to the copy Boxcryptor + GoogleDrive or similar ....

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Based on the description you provided, it sounds like the third party app you're using is no longer working because it is still using the older version of the Dropbox API (called "API v1"), which was recently retired. The developer of the third party app will need to update it for it to continue working.

Please reach out to the support organization for that app for an updated version. If the developers of this app are having any trouble with the Dropbox API itself, they can reach out to Dropbox developer support directly with the relevant technical details for help.

Unfortunately, if the developers of the app cannot or will not provide an update, I'm afraid we won't be able to make the app work again.

marco e.2
Explorer | Level 4
I think there are only two possible ways:

1) BoxCryptor Classic will adjust its software to new API introduced by DropBox,
or
2) DropBox maintains the compatibility of its API with already integrated applications (BoxCryptor Classic is one of the historical ones).

Unfortunately, from what I see, none of these alternatives  will happen.

Thus, users will look for other solutions: someone will abandon DropBox, someone will leave BoxCryptor Classic.
Surely everyone will lose something ...

thelwang
Helpful | Level 7
Marco, Boxcryptor did update the app, your just using the old version.

Notice the "classic" in the boxcryptor name? The boxcryptor developer has abandoned that version. Just use latest non-classic version of boxcryptor. The classic version has even been removed from app stores. Dropbox announced the v1 removal two years ago then extended the deadline multiple times. Dropbox made a pretty good effort here, but that can't keep old versions running forever...

DaveG6HNI
New member | Level 2

The trouble with the newer version is that they limit your free access to 3 devices which is not enough.

So now that Dropbox has done the same I have stopped using dropbox with Boxcryptor Classic and have switched to MS OneDrive which works fine so long as you switch off the Files on Demand feature.

Dropbox has been very good and it is a pity that they have put profits before people, but such is the world we live in.

Need more support?