cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change "App Folder Name" on dashboard - implications?

Change "App Folder Name" on dashboard - implications?

meadowsr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm using the Dropbox API in my iOS app to allow users to sync data files to their DB account.

With some lack of foresight, I chose an App Folder Name that is not conducive to future expansion, therefore I'd like to change it.  What are the implications of doing so, *specifically* in regards to files that have already been uploaded and synced between the device and Dropbox itself?  Will any files in the current folder on a user's device be moved to a folder with the new name, or will the new folder appear with no files in it?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

To clarify, you as the developer, as well all versions of your app, don't need to know the name of the app folder in any particular account, nor will changing the "App folder name" setting interfere with your app's API calls for new or existing users. You don't need to do anything special in your app's code to handle this. The app always just communicates with its app folder in the connected account, whatever its name may be. (Similarly, users can already just rename their own app folder to whatever they want at any point in time without breaking the app.)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Changing the "App folder name" setting on an app on the App Console will actually only affect the name of new app folders created in the future.

Any existing app folders in the accounts of users connected before the change will not be affected. Those existing app folders and their contents will not be changed, moved, or renamed nor will any file operations be interrupted. New app folders created after the change will be given the new name.

meadowsr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you for your reply!

So if users currently have files in app folder "foo", and I rename that in my console to "bar", those existing files will NOT be seen in the new versions of my applications (which would now be using the new name)?  (But old versions of the app *would* see the old version of the files in the old folder?)

Is there a way for me as the developer to access the files in the old folder from my new app, so I can automatically migrate them to the new folder for the user?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

To clarify, you as the developer, as well all versions of your app, don't need to know the name of the app folder in any particular account, nor will changing the "App folder name" setting interfere with your app's API calls for new or existing users. You don't need to do anything special in your app's code to handle this. The app always just communicates with its app folder in the connected account, whatever its name may be. (Similarly, users can already just rename their own app folder to whatever they want at any point in time without breaking the app.)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    meadowsr Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?