cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After API V1 is retired in June, will users on old versions receive an error message?

After API V1 is retired in June, will users on old versions receive an error message?

ElizabethW
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm working on migrating my app to API v2.  After API v1 is retired in June, what will happen to my users who do not install the updated version of my app?  Will they see an error message when running Dropbox related features?

My apologies if this question has been answered before, I searched and could not find any similar questions.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Elizabeth, per the migration guide, when API v1 is retired in June 2017, any further API v1 calls will fail with a 400 error with the body:

{"error": "v1_retired"}

That is similar to other errors, and would be translated into error types in the SDKs. Exactly what would happen in your app would depend on the error handling built in to your app.

Hope this helps! 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Elizabeth, per the migration guide, when API v1 is retired in June 2017, any further API v1 calls will fail with a 400 error with the body:

{"error": "v1_retired"}

That is similar to other errors, and would be translated into error types in the SDKs. Exactly what would happen in your app would depend on the error handling built in to your app.

Hope this helps! 

ashavit
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Greg,

I have seen the notice of the v1_retired error you metioned, but I understand this is the HTTP version of this responce.

But what will happen to old mobile apps? using native core v1 SDK?

Will they be able to continue working with these SDKs?

i.e. will a user using an old iOS app version (with Dropbox's Obj-C CoreV1 SDK) link his account to the app. As in the:

[[DBSession sharedSession] linkFromController:viewController]

Thanx,

Amir

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi Amir, any apps still using API v1 SDKs will no longer be able to successfully make API calls. Any further API v1 calls will fail with a 400, which the SDK will translate to its native error type.

The linkFromController method in particular may continue working to some extent since that isn't an API call made to the server exactly, but the resulting access token won't be useful anyway, since any subsequent API calls will fail anyway.

ElizabethW
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you, this is very helpful.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ElizabethW New member | Level 2
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    ashavit Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?