cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients Submit Files Via Dropbox

Clients Submit Files Via Dropbox

Rich F.5
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have an opportunity to have clients submit large files.  Instead of a form post in a browser, it would be nice to maintain a shared folder for each client.  I'd use my API to deal with the files and place error files or some kind of log within each client's folder.

Is Dropbox made for this sort of thing?  With the API I can't find list_folder_members, so I'm wondering if I have the right app type.  The error I'm getting is that my app type disallows this type of call.   

members = client.list_folder_members("alpha")

Any insight appreciated.  Cheers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks! I see that you registered a "Dropbox Business API" app. That is for the Dropbox Business API, which has functionality specific to Business teams, so you can only connect that if you have a Business plan.

For what you described earlier, you should register a "full Dropbox" app. I.e., on the app creation page, select "Dropbox API" > "Full Dropbox" (not "Dropbox Business API"). You can connect that to any account type, and use it to access shared folders.

(If you've already registered a full Dropbox app, you can find it on the App Console.)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Dropbox does offer an API you can use for listing, uploading, and downloading files, among other operations. You can also perform these operations in shared folders. You can find everything you need to get started with the Dropbox API, including documentation, tutorials, and SDKs here.

The specific issue you're seeing with "list_folder_members" method is because you're trying to call it with an access token for an app registered for the "app folder" permission. That endpoint doesn't support apps with the app folder permission. You should use an app with the "full Dropbox" permission for that instead. (You can register one here if you haven't already.)

Rich F.5
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Do I have to have a business account in order to play in the business sandbox?  That doesn't really work for me.  I need to know if I can perform my task, to know that this is a possible solution for my needs.  It's backwards to ask someone to buy a car to see if it is the right choice.  

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Can you clarify what you mean when you refer to "the business sandbox"?

None of the functionality mentioned in this thread here requires a Business account. You can register and use a "full Dropbox" app and use shared folders with any account type.

Rich F.5
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I applied for a Team application and tried to generate an access token:

Generated access token

You must be a team administrator to perform this operation

It seems I'm missing something.  I thought it was my current account that's limiting my API access.  What have I done wrong here?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks! I see that you registered a "Dropbox Business API" app. That is for the Dropbox Business API, which has functionality specific to Business teams, so you can only connect that if you have a Business plan.

For what you described earlier, you should register a "full Dropbox" app. I.e., on the app creation page, select "Dropbox API" > "Full Dropbox" (not "Dropbox Business API"). You can connect that to any account type, and use it to access shared folders.

(If you've already registered a full Dropbox app, you can find it on the App Console.)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Rich F.5 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?