cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Control selective sync programmatically

Control selective sync programmatically

Igal Tabachnik
New member | Level 1

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to control selective sync programmatically? There's a certain folder I want to sync, for example, in certain hours of the day. With a cron job, I could instruct selective sync to include/exclude a folder.

Is this possible? Can you make it possible? 🙂

Thanks!

36 Replies 36

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@blizzrdof77 No, unfortunately I don't have any news on this request.

mm_POC
Explorer | Level 4

Does Dropbox not see the need for this ? This seems like a somewhat basic request for something to control with an API...why is this a multi year request with many articles, requests and workarounds? 

Seems like most of us are needing to work around "node_modules" or other dev temp files...

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@mm_POC Thanks for the feedback! I can't offer insight as to any why any particular feature was or wasn't implemented, but I'll send this along to the team.

dorival
New member | Level 2

We definitively need to ignore node_modules. I have a script for this on Linux but cannot exclude files on macOS... too bad

Kieran360
Helpful | Level 5

Any news on when or if this feature will be added? It's been five years of people asking. Why doesn't dropbox have somewhere we can request features?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Kieran360 Thanks for your post! Unfortunately I don't have any news on if or when Dropbox may decide to implement and release the ability to programmatically control the selective sync feature. We appreciate the feedback though, and forum posts like this are a good place to send feature requests. 

b9chris
Helpful | Level 6

Dropbox: We're waiting for your community feedback!

Community: (provides feedback)

Dropbox: lol

Kieran360
Helpful | Level 5

"Forum posts like this are a good place to send feature requests"? Fourteen people have asked for this feature over five years and there's no intention on the part of dropbox to develop it. I'd be better off writing a letter to Santa.

I've been a dropbox customer for nine years and I can say that dropbox absolutely do not care what people who use dropbox actually want, so long as the money keeps rolling in.

ivanrinaldo
Explorer | Level 4

It's 2021 - Any update on this function? My team of over 15 people are very interested in this!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@ivanrinaldo No, unfortunately I don't have an update on this request.

Need more support?