Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Creating a folder with sync disabled

Explorer | Level 3

Hey all...  Using the API, is there a way to create a folder, which can only synced to the server on demand? So users can put files, but sync is trigerred only at a certain time ?

Thanks for your help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Creating a folder with sync disabled

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for clarifying! The API will always service whatever API calls are made as soon as possible, so if you want to defer operations like this, you should build that in to your app's code. That is, just have your app itself wait to make those API calls, e.g., to create a folder, upload files, etc, until whenever you want them done.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I'm not sure I understand exactly what functionality you're looking for. Do you perhaps mean you want to create a folder that isn't synced automatically via the "Selective Sync" feature, or via the "Smart Sync" feature?

In any case, there isn't anything like that, but please feel free to elaborate and I'll be happy to pass this along as a feature request.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Greg.. Thanks for the reply, let me rephrase.

We would like to disable sync for certain users on a folder via API, and have the API enable it during non work hours for sync to server.

let me know if that helps
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks! I'm still not sure I fully understand your exact scenario though. When you refer to the "server", do you mean your own server which is syncing with Dropbox, e.g., via the Dropbox desktop client, or do you mean the Dropbox API servers?
Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
I am talking about dropbox servers.. basically, the files should stay local and be synced to dropbox on demand.
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for clarifying! The API will always service whatever API calls are made as soon as possible, so if you want to defer operations like this, you should build that in to your app's code. That is, just have your app itself wait to make those API calls, e.g., to create a folder, upload files, etc, until whenever you want them done.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?