cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating an app that accesses a folder on my personal account

Creating an app that accesses a folder on my personal account

jcyl29
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello, I'm having trouble getting started on this and was hoping to get some help.

I want to make a photo gallery app. This app does not require end user to sign in to a dropbox account nor create one. I want the app simply to access a folder on my personal dropbox, which has the photos.

Is this use case possible for me? I created an app on dropbox's app console, and I am trying to use Insomia to make curl's to the endpoints, but I'm not sure which auth token i should use. Can I get general guideline on what I need to do?

Thank you,
Justin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The API was designed with the intention that each user would link their own Dropbox account, in order to interact with their own files. While it is technically possible to always connect to just one account for all users, we do not officially support this, for various technical and security reasons.

If you just want to be able to share files in a read-only manner though, the shared links feature itself may be useful:

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The API was designed with the intention that each user would link their own Dropbox account, in order to interact with their own files. While it is technically possible to always connect to just one account for all users, we do not officially support this, for various technical and security reasons.

If you just want to be able to share files in a read-only manner though, the shared links feature itself may be useful:

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?