cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Dropbox support the UIDocumentPickerModeOpen mode in iOS 8?

Does Dropbox support the UIDocumentPickerModeOpen mode in iOS 8?

Yaogang L.
New member | Level 1

I am trying to use the iOS 8 Document Picker to choose a file package from Dropbox, and edit it in-place. However, it seems that only the import and export modes are supported. When I use the open mode, Dropbox doesn't show up in the document picker.

Is this something you guys are working on?

51 Replies 51

JasonTM1
Helpful | Level 5

Take a look at Google Drive. The desktop(mac) client has been just as solid as Dropbox for us. So you would not be required do use GDocs, etc, on the web unless you want to do so.

Their iOS apps support many more OS features than Dropbox, including document picker/slide-over/multitasking. We already have a couple of people using it in place of Dropbox Business and they don't want to switch back. They are able to do all of their work from iPads, its pretty slick.

Box.com is another option with a modern iOS app.

Joshua K.14
New member | Level 2

So Dropbox seems to have special integrations with Microsoft and Adobe but does not support newer Apple technologies. The lack of size classes (i.e. No slide over or split screen. Apple has given years to developers to be ready for these features) and integration with the document picker definitely gives me pause in using their services. They just shed Carousel and Mailbox, I hope that means their native apps will be getting lots of improvements, maybe? 

Dropbox, Apple made document handling tough for a long time on iOS. Now that they finally give an option to work and save-in-place, I don't get why you, as a service, wouldn't be first in line to support this. It's baffling to me. 

frevo
Helpful | Level 6

I agree, this is really annoying. After all, Dropbox is all about easy syncing - and that's exactly what's missing on iOS. This should have been one of the first features to implement when iOS received document provider support.

Theodore S.1
Helpful | Level 6

This has led me to move most of the files that I'm actively working on to other providers. Anecdotally, many people I've heard from are doing the same. Why the lack of traction on this feature that's been possible to implement for 1.5 years? Dropbox is the only major cloud storage provider left.

Gérard K.
New member | Level 1

Any news about this feature request?

All other major cloud storage services support this now. Dropbox is the only one that forces iOS users to export or "open in" documents and thereby creating duplicates each time.

I've already moved my office documents to another cloud provider and I plan to move all my files if DB hasn't implemented this correctly by end of march when my pro subscription will expire.

Alan S.22
New member | Level 2

Me too, I don't get why Dropbox wasn't the first to implement this feature.

To be honest, no one except Box is doing this, or doing it correctly. OneDrive tries but it doesn't actually save the file, even though you can reopen it and see the changes applied. Maybe it's opening a cached version?

Overall, Dropbox has the best features (except for the only 1TB option – I would like a 200 or 500gb one), and since I'm getting 18 months of service thanks to my ISP, I'm signing up, but I would put this feature at the very top of my feature request list.

Somebody S.
New member | Level 1

it's a pathetic money grubbing ploy from a company who cares less about its customers than cutting invasive deals with microsoft.

Jack R.1
New member | Level 1

I agree with the comments above - I've paid for a year of dropbox pro, and if this functionality isn't added but the time it's come to renew my subscription, I will be moving my business elsewhere.  

Connor L.1
New member | Level 1

I would like to use Textastic for development purposes on my iPad and this feature is extremely important to me.  I find it sad that the most popular cloud storage platform, Dropbox, does not support this feature when Box, Google Drive, and iCloud all do.  iOS does not support a native file system, but if dropbox would implement this feature, that would no longer be an issue for me. Please take care of it as soon as you can

frevo
Helpful | Level 6

I would really appreciate it if Dropbox provided us with a status update on this issue.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Neil T.9 Helpful | Level 6
    Frank I.2 New member | Level 1
    Thomas M.71 New member | Level 1
    Chris D.37 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?