cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Paper still support export as Markdown?

Does Paper still support export as Markdown?

companion
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm trying to use the Dropbox API to access Paper documents as markdown. I have a connected app and a user with the new version of Paper (paper_as_files: enabled). I've switched from docs/download to /files/export as per the migration guide, but it doesn't appear that endpoint offers any method to select the export format.

So, is Markdown export still a thing, and if so, how do I do it?

24 Replies 24

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@entotto Thanks for the feedback! I'll pass this along to the team.

@euxn No, unfortunately I don't have an update on this.

companion
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

As this topic still gets at least sporadic activity, I thought it was worth mentioning that the Dropbox Paper help guides still say that you can export Paper docs to .docx or markdown format: https://help.dropbox.com/da-dk/files-folders/paper/export-docs

bram_l
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@companion wrote:

As this topic still gets at least sporadic activity, I thought it was worth mentioning that the Dropbox Paper help guides still say that you can export Paper docs to .docx or markdown format: https://help.dropbox.com/da-dk/files-folders/paper/export-docs

Yes it's possible to export Dropbox Paper documents to Markdown using the web interface, but unfortunately it's still not in the new API.. The conversion itself works great, and it would be extremely helpful if this functionality could be implemented in the API.

Imearive
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I think that you have missed something during magiration. You can check document and save name in lower case.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Yes, to clarify, as linked above, exporting a Paper doc as Markdown from an account with the new Paper setup is possible manually via the web site. The original request here is for the ability to do so programmatically, via the API, which is not currently possible.

diventi
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'll add a +1 to this feature request. We need an option to export as markdown via the API! Thank you 🙂

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@diventi Thanks for the note!

petergoes
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

At our company we use the current /paper/ endpoint to extract papers in markdown format.

I have been trying to migrate to the Dropbox API, but as mentioned, it only returns HTML. Since the exported HTML does not have semantics included (No <h1>...<h6>), lists items are all wrapped in <ul>'s seperatly, I can not transform the exported HTML back to markdown.

We would love to have the ability to export to markdown, to use Dropbox Paper as a CMS like we described in this blog post: Dropbox Paper as a headless CMS 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@petergoes Thanks for the feedback!

Daiki Noda
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

+1. Markdown-exporting helps us when backup documents.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

fax New member | Level 2
    Daiki Noda New member | Level 2
    companion Helpful | Level 6
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    diventi Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?