cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Does the Dropbox Sync API use API v1?

Does the Dropbox Sync API use API v1?

Brendan D.
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

Does the Dropbox Sync API (now deprecated) use the API v1? If so does that mean that any app currently using the Dropbox Sync API will cease to function when the v1 API is shutdown next year? I know that the Dropbox Sync API client side isn't being updated anymore but it was my understanding that it still used the Core API behind the scenes anyway so it should be ok.

What's going to happen next year to my customers who are still using the old version of my app that uses the Dropbox Sync API?

3 Replies 3

Robert S.138
Helpful | Level 7

It is my understanding that Sync uses v1, and therefore it will cease to function on June 28, 2017.  My app used Sync on both Android and iPhone.  I have already changed my Android app to use Core API v2, which means I had to give up the background file syncing and caching and use only explicit and immediate uploads and downloads of files.  My customers will notice, but I don't think they will mind too much.  The iPhone version of my app is waiting for the Objective-C library for Core API v2, which is due out this month, so they say.  I will make the same change there, once that library is released.

Brendan D.
Explorer | Level 4

Looks like I'm going to be in a world of hurt next year when that happens. 

Stephen C.14
Dropbox Staff

@Brendan 😧 @Robert S. is correct. The Sync API will stop working on June 28, 2017.

@Robert S.: As far as the Objective-C SDK, it is currently in beta for the next few days, and will be released for production at the end of this week.

Need more support?