cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox API - Objective C - uploadData - versioned updates

Dropbox API - Objective C - uploadData - versioned updates

mrschulz
Explorer | Level 3

Objective-C API Question 

Previously when I uploaded files (old API) dropbox would create numbered versions if the file was already there.

I am trying to do this same thing using the "uploadData" file route, like this:

DBFILESWriteMode *mode = [[DBFILESWriteMode alloc] initWithUpdate:parentRev];

// parentRev is null here, what should it be ?

[[client.filesRoutes uploadData:[path stringByAppendingPathComponent:name] mode:mode autorename:false clientModified:nil mute:false inputData:data]

setResponseBlock:^(DBFILESFileMetadata *metadata, DBFILESUploadError *routeError, DBRequestError *networkError) {

if (metadata) {

[self uploadedFile:[path stringByAppendingPathComponent:name] from:localFileURL.absoluteString metadata:metadata];

} else {

[self uploadFileFailedWithRouteError:routeError andNetworkError:networkError];

} 

}];

This always fails, with the error message:

2018-01-12 16:50:45.010 Shot Lister[93699:4378867] There was an error uploading the file

RouteError - (null)

NetworkError - DropboxBadInputError[{

ErrorContent = "Error in call to API function \"files/upload\": HTTP header \"Dropbox-API-Arg\": mode: missing 'update' key";

RequestId = 80a4b8c090dd70cb191ff3182e76c4e1;

StatusCode = 400;

UserMessage = nil;

}];

If I initWithOverWrite it works just fine.

"" 

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

When using the "update" write mode, the "parentRev" value should be the latest FileMetadata.rev value you saw for the file. That allows you to safely overwrite the file without accidentally overwriting a newer version. (It will create a conflict if the rev value you supply isn't actually the latest.)

Based on your description though, it sounds like you might actually want the "add" write mode. There's more information on the different write modes in that documentation.

mrschulz
Explorer | Level 3

the "add Write" mode sounds like exactly what I need.

However, it gives me this error when I try it ( do I still need the parentRev somehow ?)

There was an error uploading the file

RouteError - {

".tag" = path;

path =     {

reason =         {

".tag" = conflict;

conflict =             {

".tag" = file;

};

};

"upload_session_id" = AAAAAAAALlfY4TOhRrLTZw;

};

}

NetworkError - DropboxHttpError[{

ErrorContent = "path/conflict/file/.";

RequestId = f3592a2cc49f18bb997e881887eba543;

StatusCode = 409;

UserMessage = nil;

}];

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Apologies, I should have mentioned, in order to get the behavior you're looking for, you'll also need to set `autorename` in addition to using the 'add' write mode, e.g.:

https://dropbox.github.io/dropbox-sdk-obj-c/api-docs/latest/Classes/DBFILESUserAuthRoutes.html#/c:ob...:

When using the 'add' write mode, uploading to a path that already contains a file will create a "conflict", and the `autorename` parameter controls what happens when there's a conflict. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    mrschulz Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?