cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox API access files on shared link without authentication

Dropbox API access files on shared link without authentication

sir_shepherd
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hey everyone,

i'm currently writing a new android app for a football club of my village and i want to load some images from a dropbox folder using a shared link.

Is it possible to load files from a shared dropbox link folder without authenticating the user using the dropbox api for android.

I'm searching for a solution (and hopefully a good tutorial) since a few days, but it seems like nobody tried the same thing before or it's just not possible. 

I'm new in the world of 'dropbox developer tools' and i found a lot of solutions in which i have to authenticate the user with an access-token or app-key. But i don't know/understand which kind of access will be granted to the app by using one of these things. Maybe, someone can explain the usage of these to me, because if i can use them without any security issues, it could be acceptable solution.

The app should only be possible to read the content of the folder and should not be allowed to write into it.

Best regards,

DS

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If you want programmatic unauthenticated read-only access, you may want to use a Dropbox shared link to the folder (which should contain a component "/sh/") with the URL parameters documented here:

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/force-download

If you modify the URL as described there, e.g., using a "dl=1" parameter, you can then programmatically download directly from the shared link without using the API, app key, access tokens, etc.

In the case of a shared link for a folder, that will give you a download of a zip file containing the folder. You could then unzip that and use the contents as desired.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If you want programmatic unauthenticated read-only access, you may want to use a Dropbox shared link to the folder (which should contain a component "/sh/") with the URL parameters documented here:

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/force-download

If you modify the URL as described there, e.g., using a "dl=1" parameter, you can then programmatically download directly from the shared link without using the API, app key, access tokens, etc.

In the case of a shared link for a folder, that will give you a download of a zip file containing the folder. You could then unzip that and use the contents as desired.

Need more support?