cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox API v2 .NET SDK Needs Updating

Dropbox API v2 .NET SDK Needs Updating

Mark R.5
Helpful | Level 5

I got the email a few days ago saying that my apps which use this SDK will need updating due to a bug in the framework. This raises a couple of queries:

1) It said that the SDK will need updating within a couple of months, at which point it may start to throw a runtime error (somewhat disturbing). However an exact date was not given. Seeing that publishing a release is a non-trivial exercise, is it possible to give a more exact date for when this needs to be completed?

2) A quote from the email, "If you do not update SDK versions within the next two months, return types from some endpoints may fail to deserialize correctly, raising a runtime exception. ". This is also slightly vague. It mentions 'some' endpoints, but I may not be using any of these endpoints so don't need to worry, or it may be that at least they won't cause the app to crash. Is it possible to let us know precisely which endpoints will start to fail?

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
1) I don't have a specific date for when this may start occurring, since this is about changes (that were supposed to be backwards-compatible) that we may need to make in the future which may not even be planned yet.

2) The issue that was fixed is actually a general deserialization issue that can affect any endpoint in the future as the API evolves, so I unfortunately can't guarantee exactly which will be impacted over time.

Mark R.5
Helpful | Level 5
1) I don't have a specific date for when this may start occurring, since this is about changes (that were supposed to be backwards-compatible) that we may need to make in the future which may not even be planned yet.

2) The issue that was fixed is actually a general deserialization issue that can affect any endpoint in the future as the API evolves, so I unfortunately can't guarantee exactly which will be impacted over time. 

1) So it means that these breaking changes will not be made for another 2 months at least (as per the email)?

2) Understood

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
That's correct, we won't be making any of these changes during this two month span while developers update to the fixed SDK.

Mark R.5
Helpful | Level 5

Ok, so as I received the email on 30th June, I will presume that means that this cut off date is 30th August and there will be no changes before then.

Need more support?