cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox V2 API get metadata takes long time

Dropbox V2 API get metadata takes long time

Stress 1 A.
New member | Level 1

In our app we are using the Dropbox V2 API (https://api.dropboxapi.com/2/files/get_metadata)  to get the metadata for a file. We have noticed that it takes around 2.5seconds and sometimes it is > 4 seconds. On the other hand, the V1 API for get metadata calls take under 500ms. We are using V2 APIs because we need the unique id feature. Wondering why is the latency so high and any best practices to reduce this latency?

2 Replies 2

Re: Dropbox V2 API get metadata takes long time

Greg-DB
Dropboxer

Thanks for the report! I can't say offhand what causes the additional latency, but I'll report this to the team to investigate. 

As far as best practices are concerned though, if you need metadata for multiple items, it's best to use /list_folder/* to initially get the entire state necessary and then continually stay up to date.

Re: Dropbox V2 API get metadata takes long time

Alexey I.
Dropboxer

Can you test it again?

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Alexey I. Dropboxer
    Greg-DB Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?