cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox's code example for sharing a file link in Python not working

Dropbox's code example for sharing a file link in Python not working

cristrod817
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
#Python code provided by Dropbox
import requests
import json

headers = {
    "Authorization": "Bearer append-current-token"
"Content-Type": "application/json"
}
data = {
    "path": "/baby dream/Cris Rodriguez/10yrsZ.tif"
}

r = requests.post(url, headers=headers, data=json.dumps(data))
print(r.text)

I am getting this error text: 400

Error in call to API function "sharing/get_shared_link_metadata":
This function requires its argument in the HTTP request body, but your request body is empty.

This is the default code provided by Dropbox which I am trying to implement but to no avail.
I've done my research to no avail.  Need help desperately.

I am using VS Code as my editor, Windows 10 latest version, Python 3.10.10

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@cristrod817, as Greg pointed out, 'url' parameter is missing in your request and of course, the error message, you're receiving, notes the same. Take a look once again in the link you post above. There are 3 parameters - 1 mandatory and 2 optional. You have put only one of the optional params. 🙂 Where is the link you want to check metadata for? That's it.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Can you let me know where you found or received this code so I can check on that?

In any case, is this the actual/exact code you're running? When I plug in an access token, and add the missing "," in the 'headers' object that otherwise causes a SyntaxError, I actually get the different error "Error in call to API function "sharing/get_shared_link_metadata": request body: missing required field 'url'" which would be expected in this case for this code, as the /2/sharing/get_shared_link_metadata endpoint requires a 'url' parameter.

cristrod817
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

The code was found in Dropbox https://dropbox.github.io/dropbox-api-v2-explorer/#sharing_get_shared_link_metadata

Select View Request as Python Request (Requests Library)

and it gives this error:

{
  "error_summary": "shared_link_not_found/",
  "error": {
    ".tag": "shared_link_not_found"
  }
}

Please provide the appropriate code.  Thank you.  The path does exist.  Check my prior replies.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@cristrod817, as Greg pointed out, 'url' parameter is missing in your request and of course, the error message, you're receiving, notes the same. Take a look once again in the link you post above. There are 3 parameters - 1 mandatory and 2 optional. You have put only one of the optional params. 🙂 Where is the link you want to check metadata for? That's it.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for clarifying! That's correct, the /2/sharing/get_shared_link_metadata endpoint does require the 'url' parameter. That endpoint is a way to get information about a Dropbox shared link, so you need to include the Dropbox shared link in the call. The 'path' parameter can additionally be supplied to request information about a particular item relative to the folder, if the shared link itself is for a folder.

In my testing, the API v2 Explorer "Python request (requests library)" option for that endpoint is correctly including the 'url' parameter, and likewise I wasn't able to reproduce the original "request body is empty" error with this code, so it sounds like you were using a modified version of that code.

Anyway, it looks like you've got this sorted out now, but let us know if you need help with anything else.

cristrod817
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Ok, I have updated the code to include the url parameter within the data = statement.  Now I am getting the same error as the default code provided by Dropbox.  I have included a print statement at the end of the code so I can see the response which is:

{"error_summary": "shared_link_not_found/..", "error": {".tag": "shared_link_not_found"}}

The code is identical to that

Here's my updated code:

import requests
import json

headers = {
    "Authorization": "Bearer sxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx removed",
    "Content-Type": "application/json"
}

data = {
    "path": "/Cris Rodriguez/Baby Dream CSV/Beach Vibes (GO) 6x8 WEB.jpg"
}

r = requests.post(url, headers=headers, data=json.dumps(data))
print(r.text)Default code by DropboxDefault code by DropboxMy Python CodeMy Python CodeError returned by Dropbox CodeError returned by Dropbox Code

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@cristrod817, where is your shared link? 🙃 Did you forget what you're trying achieve - to get shared link metadata? You have to provide a shared link with that url field, not just some URL! What actually do you expect to see as metadata for the 'link' you provided? 😁

Hope this gives the next step.

cristrod817
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am following the exact example provided in The API Explorer.

https://dropbox.github.io/dropbox-api-v2-explorer/#sharing_get_shared_link_metadata

I can't provide a share link, I am expecting a share link from Dropbox.  That purpose of this exercise, isn't it?  Or am I missing something?   Can you please provide an example?  I am just following the example code provided by Dropbox.

Thank you for responding.

cristrod817
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

This is the shared link I am expecting from my call to Dropbox.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/38czpuizzl9xxq1/Beach%20Vibes%20%28GO%29%206x8%20WEB.jpg?dl=0

So, I don't understand the error.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Ha ha.. 😁 you are trying to evaluate an existing link, not to create a new link. 😉 If you want to create such link take a look here. 😉

Hope this helps.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    cristrod817 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?