cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

[Dropbox v2 API for IOS] - Locale query

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hello,

I have a IOS application where dropbox is integrated into the application using the DROPBOX framework v2 for IOS.  

When I first time open the dropbox within the application, we show login screen of the drop box using the DBSession linkFromController call by supplying the app key, secret key and the root folder.

Now, if I change the locale to Japanese ( originally I was in English mode ), then try to see the login page, it is still in English.

Question is - In DROPBOX framework v2 for IOS, is the locale handling supported ? If yes, what is the way to be taken. 

It would help if I get some clue on this.

Thanks,

Champa

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: [Dropbox v2 API for IOS] - Locale query

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi Champa, based on your reference to "DBSession linkFromController", it sounds like you're actually referring to the Dropbox iOS Core SDK, which uses API v1, not API v2.

In any case, that SDK doesn't currently offer a way to set the locale for the app authorization login page, but I'll be sure to pass this along as a feature request.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hello Gregory,

Thank you for the response.  

I downloaded the latest SDK from the

https://www.dropbox.com/developers-v1/core/sdks/ios

- It did not throw me a warning for this call and also it is working successfully in linking the login page. 

So, from your above statement, I understand that for any locale, login page is always in "English" as of now.

Correct me if my understanding is different.

Thanks,

Champa

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hello Gregory,

I have another observation. It randomly gives the page on the selected locale. But when I selected back "English" locale, it sometime gives the previously selected locale.

Can you please elaborate on this usage ?

Thanks,

Champa

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for confirming. That is the iOS Dropbox Core SDK.

Anyway, it sounds like you're using linkFromController method correctly, but that method doesn't offer an explicit way to set the locale.

The app authorization page is just a page on the Dropbox web site, where the user can manually set a language. Users can also set a language in their account settings. It sounds like you may be referring to these settings, and perhaps are seeing cached pages.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hello Gregory,

Here is my understanding -

- We cannot set locale from the iOS Dropbox Core SDK APIS.

- Confusion part from my side is -  From the IPAD phone settings,  I set the language, it randomly works but most of the times it shows in English. So  my query is when it works, how does it take the language since I am not setting from the account settings like you have mentioned above. 

Sorry sending these questions again as I am not yet clear on the concept.

Your answers would really be helpful.

Thanks,

Champa

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for clarifying! The system locale can also come in to play, along with some other variables, so it's hard to say off hand exactly which is contributing the what you're seeing. For example, if you don't have a language explicitly set in your account, the site will try to determine the best language to show based on either factors, such as IP address, browser headers, cookies, etc.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hello Gregory,

Ok thanks a lot. SO, I assume that the language settings set on the phone does not matter for this page to be shown and it all depends on the language explicitly set in your account on the site.

Hope this understanding of mine is correct.

Thanks,

Champa

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?