cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embed a File Request On My Website

Embed a File Request On My Website

DCrews
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello!

I would love the ability to embed or host a file request directly on my website. We currently share our file request link and people are directed to the Dropbox File Request site; However, I would like for people to be directed to and perform this function on my website. I have seen this accomplished with a Box.com setup at https://forefrontwealthpartners.com/client-document-upload

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the post! Dropbox doesn't currently offer a way to embed a file request like this, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the post! Dropbox doesn't currently offer a way to embed a file request like this, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

robertoandrade
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We would also want to do the same, is there a way to upvote the feature request to get more traction?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@robertoandrade Commenting here serves that purpose. Thanks!

ppciesiolkiewicz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

+1, that would be a lovely feature! 

Would it possible to mimic that kind of functionality using APIs?, i.e. create an upload view in the browser that will allow users to upload documents to the file_reuqest created in dropbox? Preferably that would upload files directly from browser to dropbox (not transferring file through my servers) 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@ppciesiolkiewicz The Dropbox API doesn't offer a way to programmatically upload to an actual file request, but it does offer functionality that would enable you to build something like that. You would want to call /2/files/get_temporary_upload_link on your server and pass the resulting temporary upload link(s) down the user's browser. (That way the access token can stay on the server and not be exposed to the user.) Then the file(s) could be uploaded directly to Dropbox from the browser via the link(s). Check out the documentation linked above for more information on using that.

By the way, that's a link to the documentation for the HTTPS endpoints themselves, but we recommend using one of the official SDKs if possible. Those have corresponding native methods for the HTTPS endpoints.

Jeremiah A.2
Helpful | Level 6

THIS IS A PRETTY BASIC FEATURE I WOULD THINK TO GET DATA -- instead of using the File Request Link.  In 2 years, you'd hope this embed feature -- I mean Dropbox has a zillion integrations already -- but no simple ones.  

zachbfg
Explorer | Level 4

The last update was two years ago. Is this still not possible? What about embedding a Dropbox file request link on my website? Would that work?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@zachbfg Dropbox still does not support embedding a file request on another site.

You can include a link to a Dropbox file request (that is, using a "<a>" element), but Dropbox doesn't support embedding the Dropbox file request web site itself (e.g., using "<iframe>").

gotuckyourselfin
New member | Level 2

Seems like a pretty popularly requested feature, not just in the forums but elsewhere...
What is the roadblock to getting this done? Is it on the road map at all? It's really unprofessional to use the standard method for requesting files, particularly publicly facing scenarios. 

Please provide a reply with something more substantial than "we don't offer it at this time, here's a work around". Show some transparency and you wont have people coming back and asking all the time.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    gotuckyourselfin New member | Level 2
    zachbfg Explorer | Level 4
    Jeremiah A.2 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?