cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Get ( I don't want to create it ) the link of a file or folder if it does exist already.

Get ( I don't want to create it ) the link of a file or folder if it does exist already.

Aldo M.2
New member | Level 1

Hi,

I am buildng an app in Java Dropbox API V2 that would display for each file or folder a link only if the owner has created a link for it.

The application is this application screenshot.

I'll explain better now.
I know it's possible to create from the dropbox.com website a link for any of the items create a link screenshot.

without specifying any email address to who I am sharing the file with anyone can view screenshot.

I noticed all these items where a link have been created are in the links section link section screenshot.

My questions are:

1)Since for a file or folder a link might have been created or not from the owner, how can I discover for each file or folder if a link does exist ?

2)In case a link does exist, how can I get it via API?

In case it does not exist I don't want to create one.

I hope my questions make sense.

I thank you in advance for your hard work.

5 Replies 5

Steve M.
Dropbox Staff

You can use /sharing/list_shared_links, passing the path to the file. If you only want links to that exact path (and not parent folders), use direct_only=true.

Aldo M.2
New member | Level 1

okay I realized only today all my links are expired.

I put together something like this but it is incomplete..

private List<SharedLinkMetadata> retrieveAllSharedLinks(DbxClientV2 client ) throws DbxException
{
    List<SharedLinkMetadata> result = new ArrayList<SharedLinkMetadata>();
    ListSharedLinksResult resultList = client.sharing().listSharedLinksBuilder().withPath(").withDirectOnly(true).start();

while (true) {

for (SharedLinkMetadata sharedLinkMetadata : resultList.getLinks()) {  
            result.add(sharedLinkMetadata);
        }

if (!resultList.getHasMore()) {
            break;
        }

//resultList = client.sharing().listSharedLinks().   I don't know what to put in this line here
    }
    return result;
}

It misses the pagination since I don't know how to get the others...
I looked the whole Internet but I couldn't get this snippet of code.

I bet it should be something similar to
 resultList = client.files().listFolderContinue(resultList.getCursor());

but it's for sharedlinks.

Will you give me further help?  I beg you...

Steve M.
Dropbox Staff

Untested, but I believe it's just this:

client.sharing().listSharedLinksBuilder()
.withPath(")
.withDirectOnly(true)
.withCursor(resultList.getCursor())
.start();

See the documentation: https://www.dropbox.com/developers/documentation/http/documentation#sharing-list_shared_links.

Steve M.
Dropbox Staff

Also, you may want to drop the .withPath(") in both calls if you're just trying to search for all links.

Aldo M.2
New member | Level 1

Hi,

I gave up with getting the links all at once and I fetch the shared links once per time.
I put back the .withPath(path) and I passed the path wanted without any cycle to get the others.

It's too difficult to figure out the pagination to get all the links at once without a template snippet in at least one of the languages among C, Python or Java or another.

Thanks for your time again.

Need more support?