cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Get Size of a Folder

Get Size of a Folder

ererr
Explorer | Level 3

How can i get the size of a particular folder in DropBox using V2 call or V1 please solve this...?

7 Replies 7

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The Dropbox API doesn't offer a direct way to get the total size of a folder's contents, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. 

If you need to know the total size of the contents of a folder, you'd need to list all of the contents using /2/files/list_folder[/continue] and then sum up the `size`s for all of the files. (You can use the `recursive` parameter on /2/files/list_folder to request nested files too.)

bellomsean
Helpful | Level 5

@Greg-DB

Is it now possible to get the size of a folder?
or we still need to do it manually as you said?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@bellomsean No, unfortunately the API still doesn't offer a way to do this directly, so you'd still need to calculate the sum.

LouisCorleone
New member | Level 2

Still need to calculate the sum?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@LouisCorleone Yes, that's correct. The Dropbox API still doesn't offer a way to retrieve this value directly.

julio_diniz_perdigao
Explorer | Level 3

I do suggest store the file size into database, which will be more faster to sum than call the api.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@julio_diniz_perdigao Thanks for the feedback!

Need more support?