cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get child folder link from shared folder link

Get child folder link from shared folder link

LKT
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

I am trying to use the API to get the already created shared url for child folders in a shared folder.

To demonstrate I have a shared folder link that contains some files and a folder here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lgjbsmsdzyobz8a/AABQPF-7nPepYQO8XXRObsJ9a?dl=0

If I click the folder kittens I get a new url:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lgjbsmsdzyobz8a/AAAIfr7gFKAcPT_JhqJwqKN7a/kittens?dl=0&subfolder_nav_trac...

How can I get the url for the kittens folder from the first shared url using the API? I know I can use files/list_folder to get the file and folder names but I don't see how I can convert that to the shared link.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The Dropbox API doesn't offer a way to get the child link like this unfortunately, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The Dropbox API doesn't offer a way to get the child link like this unfortunately, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Update: The Dropbox API now returns the shared link for the nested item as 'url' when requesting the metadata for that item using the "path" parameter on /2/sharing/get_shared_link_metadata (instead of the original parent link).

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?