cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Getting invalid request for PKCEOAuthFlow.ProcessCodeFlowAsync

Getting invalid request for PKCEOAuthFlow.ProcessCodeFlowAsync

donaldp
Collaborator | Level 9

Hi,

I'm implementing PKCE now, but getting an invalid request exception. I can't see anything that I'm doing wrong from the doco (it says everything is optional except code and appkey). This is code that was working when I was using DropboxOAuth2Helper.ProcessCodeFlowAsync (but I want to convert to not sending the secret - using a C# dotnet desktop app).

My initial code (using a code authorised in the browser, and the same appkey) is as follows...

```

if (code is object) {
    PKCEOAuthFlow pKCEFlow=new PKCEOAuthFlow();
// OAuth2Response dxResponse=await DropboxOAuth2Helper.ProcessCodeFlowAsync(code,APIKEY,APISECRET); note THIS CODE WAS WORKING
    OAuth2Response dxResponse=await pKCEFlow.ProcessCodeFlowAsync(code,APIKEY);

```

Then I hit the exception...

********************************** UNHANDLED EXCEPTION! Details: Dropbox.Api.OAuth2Exception: invalid_request
at Dropbox.Api.DropboxOAuth2Helper.ProcessCodeFlowAsync(String code, String appKey, String appSecret, String redirectUri, HttpClient client, String codeVerifier)

Do I need to use a different authoriseURI if I'm using PKCE or something? I'm using the same one I was using with DropboxOAuth2Helper.ProcessCodeFlowAsync. Otherwise I don't know what it's not happy about. 😕

thanks,

Donald.

16 Replies 16

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@donaldp wrote:

if (code is object) {
    PKCEOAuthFlow pKCEFlow=new PKCEOAuthFlow();

As can be seen from your post, you are constructing pKCEFlow object anew after you have got the code. How you guarantee that PKCE code challenge, send as part of initial query (targeting the code you have received on redirect), match to the code verifier used on followup code processing (both generated and carried within PKCEOAuthFlow object)? 🤔 This workflow targets extremely difficult prediction of such pair, so security gonna be improved. If it was so easy to predict second pair' element (just construct a new object), 😁 what's the meaning of PKCE usage at all?

Hope this gives direction. 😉

donaldp
Collaborator | Level 9

Hi,

As can be seen from your post, you are constructing pKCEFlow object anew after you have got the code

Yes, that's right. I'm getting the code directly from the browser - I'm not doing it via the app - so this is the first step in the process in the app. There is no redirect. The user gets the code, then comes to the app with it. The doco says that you can do that, hence why the subsequent parameters are all optional. It's not working though (as is).

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@donaldp wrote:

... I'm getting the code directly from the browser - I'm not doing it via the app - so this is the first step in the process in the app. There is no redirect. The user gets the code, then comes to the app with it. The doco says that you can do that, hence why the subsequent parameters are all optional. It's not working though (as is).

Ok, that's right. Nothing against what you say, it's correct. Do you intentionally bypass my actual notes posted before? 🤷 If you don't want, don't read them.

Edit:

@donaldp wrote:

... I'm getting the code directly from the browser - I'm not doing it via the app - so this is the first step in the process in the app. ...

The first step is constructing and launching Dropbox authentication (URL construction that must include code challenge). What you are talking about is going to be the second one! Both are strictly related to each other - something you are missing, seems!

donaldp
Collaborator | Level 9

>The first step is constructing and launching Dropbox authentication

And the doco states that step is optional, as I already said. I therefore don't know what code is needed to get this working when one isn't constructing and launching a redirect. If you're getting the code directly from a browser as the actual first step, then the next step is entering that code into the app, unless someone can tell me a different first step for bypassing using a redirect (I already asked if there's a different URL needed to be used for the PKCE flow - I'm using the same URL as non-PKCE flow, but maybe that's the issue?).

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@donaldp wrote:

And the doco states that step is optional, as I already said. ...

Probably we are talking for different things. How constructing URL used on launching the browser (where you are getting code) can be optional? You are getting such code every time OAuth is on go, but it's optional... 🤔 Can you clarify the meaning of word "optional" here (in this context)?

This is something mandatory for any type of Flow in use and both with and without redirection! Sometimes it's simple, sometimes little bit complicated. When SDK is in use you are relying on the SDK code to do this, should look the same. Just careful what code is used to construct it. Don't mix different code (from different flows) together.

One more thing:

@donaldp wrote:

... (I already asked if there's a different URL needed to be used for the PKCE flow - I'm using the same URL as non-PKCE flow, but maybe that's the issue?).

What actually means "the same URL"? If you mean URL received using the same code (PKCEOAuthFlow class code), that's correct. Since this URL will contain within code challenge (something supposed to be unique for every query), URL literal gonna be different. If you mean usage of a constant URL literal..., where and how will come code challenge from - something mandatory for PKCE?

donaldp
Collaborator | Level 9

From https://developers.dropbox.com/oauth-guide - "The redirect_uri is optional with the code flow - if unspecified, the authorization code is displayed on dropbox.com for the user to copy and paste to your app"

So the URL is https://www.dropbox.com/oauth2/authorize?client_id=MY_CLIENT_ID&redirect_uri=MY_REDIRECT_URI&respons... but without the redirect, since that is optional, and that link is always the same, so just have a browser shortcut for it.

It sounds like the link is different for PKCE then?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Yes, we are talking for different things. @donaldp, It's correct:

@donaldp wrote:

From https://developers.dropbox.com/oauth-guide - "The redirect_uri is optional with the code flow - if unspecified, the authorization code is displayed on dropbox.com for the user to copy and paste to your app"

But the following:

@donaldp wrote:

So the URL is https://www.dropbox.com/oauth2/authorize?client_id=MY_CLIENT_ID&redirect_uri=MY_REDIRECT_URI&respons... ...

... is definitely NOT "redirect_url"!!! It's the URL used to launch the authentication and it's mandatory for every Flow - no way to get anything without it! Again, PKCE Flow does suppose code challenge existance... no, no just does suppose - it's mandatory and will never work without.

Take a look here and look on PKCE example (scroll little down). See there what's mandatory and what - not. Better don't construct it by hand, but use corresponding method instead.

donaldp
Collaborator | Level 9

Ok, used the wrong name - it's the authorisation URL, not the redirect URL - but it's still the same URL every time. The link you provided says the same thing - 

https://www.dropbox.com/oauth2/authorize?client_id=<APP_KEY>&response_type=code

- so I still don't know why it's not working, given that's exactly the URL I've been using.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

OMG...

Documentation:

Example: Auth URL for PKCE code flow

https://www.dropbox.com/oauth2/authorize?client_id=<APP_KEY>&response_type=code&code_challenge=<CHALLENGE>&code_challenge_method=<METHOD>

Be more careful, where you are looking on!

Need more support?