cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting null while using get_metadata?

Getting null while using get_metadata?

gauravsc
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi

I am trying to get metadata using "include_media_info" at 

https://api.dropboxapi.com/2/files/get_metadata

of the file on dropbox. For the most files it is giving me correct metadata i.e. height and width. But there is some cases where i am getting null even if file type is jpeg. Are there any restrictions on size or dimentions for images/videos for which metadata can be or cannot be generated? Unfortunately i am unable to share url of that image here. The size of that image on disk is 25 MB and is 800 * 600.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for following up. The media information is a "best effort" process, so we can't guarantee that the system will be able to process every file.

It sounds like there is something about this file in particular that is preventing the system from processing it properly. I know you mentioned you can't share a URL of it here, but if you're able to share it privately we can try to take a look at what the issue is. I can't promise we'd be able to support it, but you can share it privately by opening an API ticket. (Please don't share it if it is at all sensitive though of course.)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

DBX_Robert
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

When the media_info field is null in the response, is it random, meaning that sometimes media_info is returned for a specific file, and sometimes it is not for that same file?  Or is it always a consiste file (or set of files) that never return media info?

gauravsc
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

It is not random. For that specific file, it is never returned.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for following up. The media information is a "best effort" process, so we can't guarantee that the system will be able to process every file.

It sounds like there is something about this file in particular that is preventing the system from processing it properly. I know you mentioned you can't share a URL of it here, but if you're able to share it privately we can try to take a look at what the issue is. I can't promise we'd be able to support it, but you can share it privately by opening an API ticket. (Please don't share it if it is at all sensitive though of course.)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    gauravsc Explorer | Level 3
    DBX_Robert Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?