cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTTP API to retrieve file comments info

HTTP API to retrieve file comments info

alfoto
New member | Level 2

I would need to know if it is possible to retrieve the comments written for a shared file (comment and position) and if it is possible to upload new comments or answers from a desktop application using CURL. Haven't found at the API list. 

Thanks.

49 Replies 49

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
This request is open with the team, so they are aware. I just don't have any news to report back from them.

QMan
Explorer | Level 3

I can't believe this is not supported in the API. Seems like a very obvious inclusion.

ampinwatec
Explorer | Level 4

Hi again. I did some poking around in your EmberUI Interface. I see that you're already loading comments from an API. Perhaps we could be allowed to use that API?

/file_activity/file_activity?is_xhr=true&activity_context=3&activity_context_data=<Path to File Censored>&_subject_uid=<Subject Censored>

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@ampinwatec That's part of the web product itself and not available on the public API unfortunately. This feature request is open with the team but I don't have an update on it.

ampinwatec
Explorer | Level 4

Could you try to get it prioritized? It would help our production of machines alot 🙂 

And until it becomes an unstable feature that's usable to some extend, would you mind if I wire myself into the web product itself and fetch the comments from that?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@ampinwatec I've sent your feedback along to the team, but I can't promise if or when it would be implemented unfortunately.

Also, accessing the Dropbox web site programmatically like that would be against the terms, and also subject to change/breaking without notice.

ampinwatec
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for sending my feedback to the team.

I don't mind if it breaks randomly - if I know that's the terms, then I'll just monitor it manually. Not an issue for the moment. At the moment, the bigger issue is that comments get lost randomly due to moving files around and there's no overview at all.

Where can I apply for an exemption so that I could be allowed to access the non-public web comments API for internal use in my organization only? I'd be putting limits on how many requests it can make per second to something lower than if I just browse around looking for it 🙂 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@ampinwatec We don't offer a way to apply for access to use the web endpoints programmatically. 

ampinwatec
Explorer | Level 4

@Greg-DB - any update on this? 🙂 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@ampinwatec No, I don't have an update on this request I'm afraid.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    AngelBlot Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?