cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How can I add more test uses to my app?

How can I add more test uses to my app?

Polaris Office Web Dev
Explorer | Level 3

I am preparing dropbox extension app review. It is a document viewer which supports a certain document format. 

Before submitting this app, I would like to add more accounts for testing. 

I set enabled to other users and unchecked "Visibility"-Only me. 

In addition, I also implemented Oauth2, but my app isn't shown to other test accounts.

Could you give me advice how I invite test users for my app? 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-API-Support-Feedback/Getting-started-adding-users-to-my-app/... 

9 Replies 9

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

There isn't a way to "invite" other users to use your Extension exactly. They just need to link your app to their accounts (via OAuth) to enable it on the web site for their accounts.

You mentioned you implemented the OAuth flow, but have the other users gone through that flow yet? That would be initiated from your app's own surface.

Polaris Office Web Dev
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your feedback. 

Actually, the other users can't go through that flow now because my app doesn't appear as one of options in "Open" menu. 

(For example, an extension app for PDF, 

Let's assume that there hasn't been an app which completed Oauth in my test accounts. 

However, I can start Oauth flow after choosing a pdf file in my Dropbox storage because there is "Connect more apps" menu". After choosing the menu for "Connect more apps", I can choose one app among options supporting pdf formats. Then Oauth flow starts by my explicit action. Once completed Oauth flow with an app I choose, the app will appear as default whenever I choose "open" menu with pdf files.) 

I am asking about  how I invoke other users go through that flow as above. 
I think Oauth flow starts after a user explictly clicks "connect the app". To do this, my app should appear as an option to connect an app when a user chooses the certain file format my app supports.

(And the app will appear as default once it completed Oauth flow.) 
Did I misunderstood the flow?

Does an app only appear as an option to connect for other users after I click "Apply for production" in app console ? 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I see, thanks for the additional information. Applying for production won't affect that (though you should apply if you need to connect more than 50 accounts). You should set up your app as covered in the Extensions Guide.

It sounds like the additional apps you're referring to are partners, which are sometimes more closely integrated. You can find information on the partner program here.

Polaris Office Web Dev
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Greg, 

I will check the partner program. 

I checked that my app appeared well for an individual users after Oauth.

However, my app doesn't appear for team accounts even thought the admin procceeded Oauth and we successfully got the token and Team ID.

Could you give me advice? 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Extensions are enabled per-account, when a user connects the app to their account, not per-team. Just connecting the team itself won't make the app appear for all team members.

Polaris Office Web Dev
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, Greg, 

However, I got an error below when a team member tried authentication.

The admin had allowed this apps in Admin console -> Settings -> App Permission -> Other Apps tab.

Do you think it happens because my app is still in development?

error.PNG

Polaris Office Web Dev
Explorer | Level 3

I got an error as below when a team member tried authentication.

error.PNG

Which scope should a team member user the authentication? Individual scope or team scope? 

Polaris Office Web Dev
Explorer | Level 3

I got an error below if I tried the authentication for a team member. 

Error connecting app:
You must be a team administrator to authorize this app. Either login to a Dropbox for Business admin account, or contact an existing administrator for your team.

Which scope should a team member user the authentication? Individual scope or team scope? 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

This isn't about the app being in development mode; the error message is saying that this app can't be authorized by this user because the app is requesting a team-link but the user isn't a team admin. (Non-admins can't authorize team-linked apps.)

Exactly which scopes you should configure and request for your app will depend on what functionality your app needs. You can find more information on using scopes in the OAuth Guide, and you can see which scope is required for each endpoint in the documentation.

Need more support?