cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How does updateAccessToken work?

How does updateAccessToken work?

Arpit A.
New member | Level 1

When a user unlinks an application the sessionDidReceiveAuthFailure delegate method is invoked, however the error message says : Access token not valid. Definitely it makes sense, but how should I differentiate if the token expired because of the application which was unlinked or because the token expired?

Reason:
for the former, the user would have to go to dropbox to reauthenticate the application, however the an expired token because of time can be fixed silently using updateAccessToken. (please correct me if I'm wrong). Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The updateAccessToken method doesn't allow you to fix expired access tokens, and access tokens don't actually expire anyway. So, in any case you get sessionDidReceiveAuthFailure you should prompt the user to re-link the app to their account if they want to continue using the app.

Arpit A.
New member | Level 1

Thanks! helps a ton!
however re-linking would always require the user to jump off too Dropbox app or re-login via web. (A yes/no would suffice).

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Yes, the user would need to re-link the app the same as the first time, i.e., it would be done via the official app or web.

Arpit A.
New member | Level 1

Awesome thanks!!

Need more support?