cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Data Transfer Between Accounts in Bulk

How to Data Transfer Between Accounts in Bulk

kevinxu212
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm trying to transfer large amounts of data (files/folders) between accounts before an account is deleted. So say user A is to be deleted soon, I want to move user A's files to a format where user B can access them.

I'm looking at two approaches, but have questions in both?

• using copy_reference/get and copy_reference/save to manually transfer every file and folder
    • The issue is request batching. I don't want to make 1000s of calls if there are 1000s of files/folders I need to change the reference for.
  • Making a shared folder from which user B will have access to user A's files. Moving all of user A's files to the shared folder.
    • I'm not sure how to move files in bulk to a shared folder or how to maintain the right folder / file directory structure.

Are there any approaches I might be missing? Any data migration apis? If not, what would be the best approach and how can I address some of these questions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The Dropbox API doesn't offer a way to process copy references in batch, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

That being the case, using shared folders may be a better option. For instance, you can share folders using /2/sharing/share_folder and /2/sharing/add_folder_member, or you can move entire folders and their contents, into a shared folder for instance, using /2/files/move_v2. You can also move items, files or folders, in bulk using /2/files/move_batch_v2.

If the account is a member of a Business team though, there is an option to transfer the member's files when deleting the account. You can find information on that in the help center here.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The Dropbox API doesn't offer a way to process copy references in batch, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

That being the case, using shared folders may be a better option. For instance, you can share folders using /2/sharing/share_folder and /2/sharing/add_folder_member, or you can move entire folders and their contents, into a shared folder for instance, using /2/files/move_v2. You can also move items, files or folders, in bulk using /2/files/move_batch_v2.

If the account is a member of a Business team though, there is an option to transfer the member's files when deleting the account. You can find information on that in the help center here.

kevinxu212
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The last bit about "if the account is a member of a Business team though" is most helpful. Thank you!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kevinxu212 New member | Level 2
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?