cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to allow users download their file from their Dropbox account to my website?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi there,
I am new in Dropbox API so please forgive me for my stupid questions.
Currently, I develop a website where subscribers (candidates) supposed to have a possibility to upload their CV file from their Dropbox account during application.
What API should I have to have it working?
Dropbox offers me to ask for access to one folder of the user's Dropbox account or to the whole account but I do not need it at all.
All I need is to allow users to upload one file.
Thanks in advance for your help. 

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: How to allow users download their file from their Dropbox account to my website?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

If you just need to request a single file from the user when they're on your site, I recommend using the Dropbox Chooser.

That's also the easiest option to implement. It's a pre-built component that lets your your app prompt the user to select specific file(s) from their account to give to your app. The app would only get access to the particular file(s) chosen by the user and nothing else. 

To get started with that, you should register a "Dropbox API" app (with either the "App folder" or "Full Dropbox" permission; the Chooser doesn't actually use the app permission itself).

If you use the "direct" link option, the Chooser will return a URL for the file to your app for the file data, so you can download the file from the URL to your server.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?