cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find out if email address is team member?

How to find out if email address is team member?

vsTheijs
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I want to know if it is possible to check through the (basic) API whether a given email address is a team member or not.

My case is the following:

I want to let people share files through our own app. When the active user has Dropbox Teams and sharing files externally is turned off, I would like to detect whether a 'Share' operation will work before actually performing it. For this I would like to check the email address of the recipient that the user has specified. If the recipient is a Team Member, sharing is allowed. Otherwise a message is shown and sharing is not allowed.

I figured out how to check if external sharing is allowed, by checking the SharingPolicies for the active account. I get the active account using 'Users/GetCurrentAccount'.

If I could get the AccountId for the recipient, I could call 'Users/GetAccount' which should tell me whether it is a Team Member or not. However, I don't know how to get the AccountId for a given email address.

Can someone tell me how to get the AccountId for a given email address, or if I could use a different approach to check whether an email address is a Team Member?

NOTE: I would like to avoid using the Business API.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No, unfortunately it's not possible to get the account ID for any given email address, or otherwise check if the corresponding account is on the same team, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No, unfortunately it's not possible to get the account ID for any given email address, or otherwise check if the corresponding account is on the same team, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?