cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: authentication

I have a question about oauth for authentication when using webhooks. Ideas?

ch26
Helpful | Level 7

Hi Team

I know that dropbox uses oauth for authentication when accessing user accounts.

Is that authentication is required everytime for webhook?? or it is used at once in the beginning??

2 Replies 2

ch26
Helpful | Level 7

I have flask application which deals with accessing dropbox user account, to access it successfully i need to write code for oauth.

After successful authentication of user i receive token.

using that token i can get accessed to user account. Is this will be performed for each user everytime or at once in the beginning?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

In order for a Dropbox API app to make an API call to access a user's account, the app will need an access token for that user's account. The app can get one by having the user authorize the app to access their account, via the OAuth app authorization flow. You can find more information on how this works in the OAuth Guide and authorization documentation

Once the user authorizes the app and the app receives the access token, that app is considered "linked" to that account. The app can store and re-use the access token for that user for future API calls, without having the user re-authorize the app again. API calls are initiated by the API app itself, and should contain the access token.

Also, once the app is linked to the account, if the app has a webhook URI registered, changes in the account will result in Dropbox sending a webhook notification to the app's registered webhook URI(s), indicating that something has changed in that account. Webhook notifications are initiated by the Dropbox servers, and do not contain an access token.

Need more support?