cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I only need readonly access. Why is there no such permission type?

I only need readonly access. Why is there no such permission type?

user404
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I don't want full access to a user's dropbox. Why isn't there a read-only option? Migrating from v1 "images only" to v2 is a pain as it is.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for following up. This has been requested a few times before, and I've added your vote. I can't promise if or when this will be implemented though.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the feedback! I'm sending this along to the team as a request for a read-only permission.

user404
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks Greg, but kinda blown away that this isn't already available! Surely I can't be the only one not wanting to scare people by asking for full rights to their dropbox? How many times has been asked for already?

thanks!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for following up. This has been requested a few times before, and I've added your vote. I can't promise if or when this will be implemented though.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I just wanted to follow up on this to let you know that we've released "scopes" functionality on the Dropbox API, which you can use to configure an app or access token to only a limited set of functionality, such as the ability to read but not write files.

You can find more information about the release in our blog post here:

https://dropbox.tech/developers/now-available--scoped-apps-and-enhanced-permissions

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    user404 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?