cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invoking context menu from elsewhere

Invoking context menu from elsewhere

Jon B.1
Collaborator | Level 9

Hi folks -- I'm working on an application which stores data in a non-Dropbox folder, and sometimes syncs the contents to a Dropbox folder.

I'm already implementing a Windows context-menu handler for my app, which appears when you right-click the non-Dropbox folder -- and I'd love to include some sort "Share on Dropbox" menu item, which brings up the standard Dropbox-client sharing GUI.

My idea is that, if my non-Dropbox folder gets right-clicked, my handler can pass a call directly to the *Dropbox client*'s context-menu handler DLL (assuming it uses the Windows standard interface), substituting the path for the corresponding folder in Dropbox; Dropbox's handler should then respond as if that folder were right-clicked.  But to do that, I'd need to know where to find the correct Dropbox DLL.

Any clues where in the registry I can find this?

(Explanations of why my idea is obviously insane also gracefully accepted.)

2 Replies 2

Jon B.1
Collaborator | Level 9

Further notes on this, for anyone's reference :

In the registry, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\DropboxExt contains the handler ID {ECD97DE5-3C8F-4ACB-AEEE-CCAB78F7711C}. 

There's a similar value under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\DropboxExt .

Under HKLM\Software\Classes\CLSID\{ECD97DE5-3C8F-4ACB-AEEE-CCAB78F7711C}, there's an InprocServer32 subkey with a DLL path (e.g. DropboxExt64.28.dll).  Is this the DLL I'm looking for?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Hi Jon, this forum is intended for developers using the Dropbox API, but it looks like you're attempting to interface with the Dropbox desktop client. The Dropbox desktop client doesn't offer an official programmatic interface, so I'm afraid we can't offer help with this.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Jon B.1 Collaborator | Level 9
What do Dropbox user levels mean?