cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with API Limits

Issues with API Limits

ojnet
Helpful | Level 6

We are an IT company and setup Dropbox for a client as an alternative to Google Drive as they were having syncing issues. We have been recommending Dropbox to all our clients up to this point.

We installed a Synology NAS and started it syncing with their Dropbox using Synology Cloud Sync. There was about 100gb of data. They have 5 users on a Business plan with Dropbox.

They quickly ran out of API calls. After numerous support requests and waiting for days in between for answers we finally found out that API limits reset at the start of the month (not the subscription rollover date). So we used a dropbox client to sync all the data up as it doesn't use API calls, paused the Synology Sync program until the new month started and then started it up again. 

That went ok until half way through the month when a few thousand files were added to the NAS and the API limit has maxxed out again. This is just normal use, not a lot of data.

Basically what we sold the client is useless because they can't save to their NAS and have it sync to Dropbox without running out of API calls very quickly through normal use.

Apparently with the individual account you get unlimited API calls which seems ridiculous. How can we solve this or do we just give up and move to something else?

30 Replies 30

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@jakera Thanks for the feedback!

RBCunningham
New member | Level 2

Please add me to the list of dissatisfied customers try to use Dropbox as a cloud back for my Synology NAS.  When I use Synology's Cloud Sync, I run into the API limit in less than 24 hours, so it is currently useless to me.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@RBCunningham Thank you for the feedback!

ojnet
Helpful | Level 6

Another client of ours has been hit with this today after running Dropbox perfectly for years. This is not a good situation. The original client I enquired for has now removed Dropbox from their NAS.

With the radio silence from Dropbox, as it stands the choices are:

1) Subscribe to 10+ users

2) Move to Google Drive

I hope you have some good news for us soon Greg K.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the further feedback @ojnet ! I'll be sure to follow up here if/when I have any news on this.

markmeurer
New member | Level 2

Another unsatisfied customer I am afraid, this issue has also affected us, I dont believe its a satisfactory solution asking small businesses to pay for 10 licenses. I do ask that you revise this as soon as possible as customers are getting frustrated by what just doesnt make sense.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks @markmeurer !

JFC1
New member | Level 2
I have an business Advanced account for 15 users and I still have the same problem. I reconnected yesterday Cloud Sync on my NAS and I just received the email saying that I reached the limit.

Yever
Explorer | Level 4

Same issue here, same answers, same consequences... Dropbox can definitely do a better job with SMEs. 

Alexis G.1
Super User

I have about 10 SMB clients with Synology NAS servers in sync with Dropbox since a couple of years now.

Has been working nice but today I get the message about the API limit. OMG what's this? how we explain this issue to our client? This is non sense!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hammerfest New member | Level 2
    Alexis G.1 Super User
    Tue_W_Nielsen New member | Level 2
    AgileLens Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?