cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking to subfolder

Linking to subfolder

JensBusse
Explorer | Level 3

I have a shared folder with a URL like:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/{first gibberish}/{Second Gibberish}?dl=0

Using the API there will folders and subfolders created there. I was hoping to be able to directly link to those folders with URLs like:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/{first gibberish}/{Second Gibberish}/Test?dl=0 where Test is the name of a subfolder. That does not seem to work since the URL for the subfolder is:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/{first gibberish}/{Different Gibberish}/Test?dl=0 and I don't know the Different Gibberish. I don't have access to any responses the API may send when creating the subfolders.

If a user has the link to the shared parent folder, shouldn't they be able to easily link to the subfolders? Is there a way to directly linking to subfolders only knowing the shared URL to the parent folder and the names of the subfolders?

6 Replies 6

Mark
Super User II
*moves to API forum*

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Unfortunately, this isn't available via API v2, but I'll be sure to pass this along as a feature request.

For reference, this is possible via API v1, with the /1/metadata/link, but API v1 is deprecated.

JensBusse
Explorer | Level 3

As mentioned in my original post, I do not have access to any responses from the API, so I'm not sure why the post was moved, nor why I am getting suggestions for how to (not) do it through the API.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for clarifying. Can you elaborate on your use case then? Are you trying to do this programmatically? If so, using the API is the only good/official interface for interacting with Dropbox resources like this, but either way, there isn't a supported way to programmatically get the link for a subfolder from the link for the parent folder.

(If you're referring to browsing these links manually, you can get links for subfolders by browsing into them in the browser. The URL in the address bar updates with links for the current folder.)

JensBusse
Explorer | Level 3

The use case:

Our system creates subfolders using the API with a naming convention. It can be something like /[Customer Name]/[Work Order Number]

As mentioned I do not have access to the responses from the API, so I am trying to link directly to the lowest level subfolder as I do have the link to the top level folder and know the values for [Customer Name] and [Work Order Number]. These links to the subfolders would be created programmatically (but not using the API), thus saving the end-user from having to browse manually from the shared top level folder.

It sounds like we are out of luck. I don't understand the need to generate different portions of the URL for the subfolders, since the user as you mention does have access to them by navigating manually.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for elaborating! I don't have a good solution for you unfortunately, but I've sent this along a feature request, and the context is useful.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    JensBusse Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?