cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Obj-C API 2] Dealing with DMCA errors?

[Obj-C API 2] Dealing with DMCA errors?

Keith B.7
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hello,

We've had a couple of reports of users encountering a 461 Dropbox error. The publicly-shipping version of our app is using API 1, and looking this up, it seems to be a DMCA-related error - it seems to be that Dropbox throws this error when trying to sync certain DMCA-restricted files. A couple of questions on how best to handle this:

1. Is this the intended behaviour even when the file is not stored in a shared folder? A user encountered this error just trying to sync a DMCA-protected font file with our app. Can Dropbox not sync such files at all?

2. Assuming this is indeed intended behaviour, what is the best way to check for this error in API 2? I am probably missing it, but I couldn't find a specific error to check for this, and I'm aware that the error codes have changed for API 2 - will API 2 likewise throw a 461 error in this situation, or will it be a different code? I'd like to show a meaningful warning in this case, telling the user which file is causing the problem and why.

Many thanks,

Keith

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
This applies to accessing the content, e.g., via download, get_preview, get_thumbnail, or via a link.

Uploading, and file operations like moving and copying are allowed.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

1. Yes, this is the expected behavior.

2. In API v2, it would be a 409 with a specific error, e.g., on /files/download, it's restricted_content. In the API v2 Objective-C SDK in particular, that becomes DBFILESDownloadError.path with a DBFILESLookupError where isRestrictedContent is true.

Keith B.7
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Thank you. Does the error only ever apply to downloads, then? Will this error never be encountered for uploads, or when trying to copy or move a restricted file?

Thanks,

Keith

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
This applies to accessing the content, e.g., via download, get_preview, get_thumbnail, or via a link.

Uploading, and file operations like moving and copying are allowed.

Keith B.7
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Great, thanks.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Keith B.7 Helpful | Level 7
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?