cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: PathRootErrorException received on listFolder

PathRootErrorException received on listFolder

dkhizhniakov
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm working with Dropbox Java SDK for ARES Kudo (kudo.graebert.com) and we're facing weird exceptions sometimes from some of our users. The exception is com.dropbox.core.PathRootErrorException in response to listFolder("") call (list "root" content)

I've tried to find out the reason, but wasn't able to. I don't get any messages except the exception. It's rarely reproducible - around 2-3 times in 2 weeks.

Any ideas what it can be?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the following up with this additional information. An 'invalid_root' error like this means:

The root namespace id in Dropbox-API-Path-Root header is not valid. The value of this error is user's latest root info.

That is, you're sending the wrong value up in withPathRoot. Note that a user's root namespace ID can change over time, e.g., due to team changes. You can find more information on this in the Team Files Guide and Root Header Modes Guide.

You should have your app catch these automatically change the root used for the user accordingly. You can get the new root information directly from this error, or by checking the user's root information again like you would have originally.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

You should be able to get a PathRootError with more error information via PathRootErrorException.getPathRootError. Can you try implementing that in your error handling to get some more information on the issue?

dkhizhniakov
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi,

Thank you for fast response! I've added logging for information from getPathRootError. 

As I don't know stable way to reproduce - I'll check logs next week to see if there are any additional info and will post it here.

dkhizhniakov
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi,

I've checked - there are 4 occurences from the last 2 weeks. All from the same account.

Here's the output from getPathRootError:

{".tag":"invalid_root","invalid_root":{".tag":"team","root_namespace_id":"5720228768","home_namespace_id":"2871343088","home_path":"/Tom Holt"}}

Any ideas? Does it have something to do with team folders? 

@Greg-DB Can you help?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the following up with this additional information. An 'invalid_root' error like this means:

The root namespace id in Dropbox-API-Path-Root header is not valid. The value of this error is user's latest root info.

That is, you're sending the wrong value up in withPathRoot. Note that a user's root namespace ID can change over time, e.g., due to team changes. You can find more information on this in the Team Files Guide and Root Header Modes Guide.

You should have your app catch these automatically change the root used for the user accordingly. You can get the new root information directly from this error, or by checking the user's root information again like you would have originally.

dkhizhniakov
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Great! Thanks, I'll give it a try and will report in couple weeks if we see this issue once again.

dkhizhniakov
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi,

@Greg-DB wanted to share that we don't see any more issues like this one. Thank you for help!

Need more support?