cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ObjC 3.3.5 new(ish) parameters for listFolder method

Re: ObjC 3.3.5 new(ish) parameters for listFolder method

Lakshmi Narayana
Explorer | Level 3

If recursive is not supported by shared links, how can we use recursive.

This is the error I'm getting:

Error in call to API function "files/list_folder": Recursive list folder is not supported for shared link.

Note: I'm new to this, so  please keep the answer beginner-friendly.

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

If you're using listFolder to list the contents of a shared link that refers to a folder, you'll need to use recursive:NO, since the recursive mode isn't supported when listing the contents of a shared link that refers to a folder.

If you need to list the contents of a subfolder inside the folder for the shared link, you need to then call listFolder again, specifying the same shared link in the sharedLink parameter, but also specifying the relative path of the desired subfolder as the path parameter (the first parameter).

You can build the relative path based on the "name" property of the relevant subfolder in the results from the first call. For example, if the results of the first call shows you that there's a subfolder named "Receipts", then you would pass in a path value of "/Receipts" to list that subfolder when you call listFolder again.

Lakshmi Narayana
Explorer | Level 3
I understand that I can just call the files_list_folder() and pass '/entries_loop_variable.name' as path while looping through the files_list_folder_object.entries, to include the subfolders and files inside the list of files. Is that right?

Lakshmi Narayana
Explorer | Level 3

I haven't tested it completely, but It appears to be working. Thanks for helping.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lakshmi Narayana Explorer | Level 3
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?