cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove Shared Folder Invitee

Remove Shared Folder Invitee

Ashley B.15
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I've been working on Sharing of folders using the API, but can not see how you remove a member who has not added it to their dropbox

This is the message in the UI "name@domain.com has not added this to their Dropbox yet"

When I try and remove using the RemoveMember I get this error : member_error/no_explicit_access/...

Which I guess makes sense as they haven't accepted or added. But how would you revoke this, so it doesn't show in the UI?

Also, when sharing indvidual files I only have the option to give View permission. 

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The /2/sharing/remove_folder_member endpoint (or corresponding native method) would be the right way to remove a member from a folder, whether or not they've mounted it. (Or, if operating on the recipient themselves, /2/sharing/relinquish_folder_membership.)

That 'no_explicit_access' error should indicate "The target member only has inherited access to the shared folder". For example, they only have access by virtue of having access to a higher level folder, meaning you can't remove just the lower folder.

Can you print out the full error object/message? The nested `MemberAccessLevelResult` may contain more useful information.

If that doesn't seem to be the case though, please share some sample calls that produce this unexpected error though so we can look into it.

Also, sharing individual files is a different piece of functionality than sharing folders, and sharing individual files does only support view-only access. For that, you can add members to files using /2/sharing/add_file_member, and remove them using /2/sharing/remove_file_member_2

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The /2/sharing/remove_folder_member endpoint (or corresponding native method) would be the right way to remove a member from a folder, whether or not they've mounted it. (Or, if operating on the recipient themselves, /2/sharing/relinquish_folder_membership.)

That 'no_explicit_access' error should indicate "The target member only has inherited access to the shared folder". For example, they only have access by virtue of having access to a higher level folder, meaning you can't remove just the lower folder.

Can you print out the full error object/message? The nested `MemberAccessLevelResult` may contain more useful information.

If that doesn't seem to be the case though, please share some sample calls that produce this unexpected error though so we can look into it.

Also, sharing individual files is a different piece of functionality than sharing folders, and sharing individual files does only support view-only access. For that, you can add members to files using /2/sharing/add_file_member, and remove them using /2/sharing/remove_file_member_2

Ashley B.15
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, and it was the parent that had the permission also.

I get the following error now :

HTTP/1.1 409 Conflict
X-Dropbox-Request-Id: 860311efbc28a9b13e0ee1bb5d4e7ddd
{"error_summary": "internal_error/.", "error": {".tag": "internal_error"}}

I am retrying and still fails. Does the request Id help?

Thanks

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

What kind of job are you trying to check when you get this?

For example, if you're sharing a folder using /2/sharing/share_folder, per the docs you should check on the job with /2/sharing/check_share_job_status.

Or, if you're unsharing a folder using /2/sharing/unshare_folder, you need to check on the job using /2/sharing/check_job_status. (Note the difference between check_share_job_status and check_job_status.)

If you're using an SDK, there are corresponding native methods for each of these.

Ashley B.15
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Yep, that would be the problem. I was calling CheckShareJobStatus for UnSharing a folder.

Thanks for your help.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Ashley B.15 Helpful | Level 7
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?