cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ruby API v2 Client

Ruby API v2 Client

Jonathan A.12
New member | Level 1

I've been using Marcin Bunsch's client for the v1 since the official one is horrific. There has also been a lot of demand for the ability to use a mock mode of the client for automated tests in local.

Can we expect a decent v2 Ruby client soon? Is it going to follow proper Ruby design principles?

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Hi Jonathan, thanks for the feedback! A Ruby SDK is planned for API v2, though I don't have a timeline or any specific information about it to offer right now.

GeoBeats N.
New member | Level 2

Is there any update on Ruby SDK is planned for API v2?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Unfortunately I don't have any news on if or when we may have a Ruby SDK for API v2.

Michael H.133
New member | Level 1

@Gregory I've been told that the API v1 will be discontinued at some point in 2017. Given that, what is the recommended way to use the Dropbox API from Ruby? Do you know of any community api clients for Ruby and V2?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Hi Michael, thanks for following up on this. I checked in with the team to see if we can firmer guidance on an official Ruby SDK. The answer is that unfortunately at this point we don't currently have plans for an official Ruby SDK for Dropbox API v2.

That being the case, you can either use the HTTP endpoints themselves, or use a third party library. I'm currently not aware of any particular third party libraries for Ruby for API v2 however.

We have open-sourced Stone though, our system for specifying APIs and generating libraries for those APIs, as well as our API spec itself. Using those, it's possible to write a generator to build a library for any programming language of your choice.

If anyone builds a third party library using that, we'd be happy to take a look and list it on the Community SDKs page.

Need more support?