cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Saving Direct File link to my Databse

Saving Direct File link to my Databse

Ahmed-rw
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello Dropbox 😄 I was wondering about a specific point. In my databse schema I have a table describing documents in my application. one of the fields specify the url to that docuemnt as I have the physical files stored in Firebase Storage and I have a field pointing the url on that storage. so my question is can i do the same with files aquired by the choose module. I will have my field pointing to the url which in this case is dropboxContent. is this okay ? sorry about the bad english.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Based on your reference to "the choose module", it sounds like you're referring to using the Dropbox Chooser and saving the link to chosen file(s).

The Dropbox Chooser is intended as a way for third party applciations to easily let users select files from their accounts, returning the links for those files to the app. What your app does with those links is up to you.

So, if you want to store those links in the app's database, you can certainly do so. There are some things to keep in mind though:

• "direct" links expire after four hours, so if you need the links to last longer than that, you should use "preview" links, which don't expire by default.
  • "preview" links can still be invalidated by the user, e.g., if they revoke the link or delete the file

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Based on your reference to "the choose module", it sounds like you're referring to using the Dropbox Chooser and saving the link to chosen file(s).

The Dropbox Chooser is intended as a way for third party applciations to easily let users select files from their accounts, returning the links for those files to the app. What your app does with those links is up to you.

So, if you want to store those links in the app's database, you can certainly do so. There are some things to keep in mind though:

• "direct" links expire after four hours, so if you need the links to last longer than that, you should use "preview" links, which don't expire by default.
  • "preview" links can still be invalidated by the user, e.g., if they revoke the link or delete the file

Ahmed-rw
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

thank you sir 🙂

Tam_1985
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Okay i see
Need more support?