cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Share your feedback on the Document Scanning Experience in the Dropbox App right here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Search_v2 API Changes

Search_v2 API Changes

andrewnicols
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi folks,

I just wanted to give some feedback regarding the new search_v2 API, which came as a bit of surprise to me.

Firstly it seems that the creation of this new API was not announced, at least not anywhere that I can find. I'm a registered Dropbox developer, but I don't seem to have received any notification. I did not receive any e-mail as a registered developer, it is not in the blog, and there's no mention in a quick search of these forums (not that I was a member before now). The application I developer provides Dropbox as a side-feature and I do not actively use it myself so I have not been notified as a developer of the app because I have not called the old API recently.

Secondly I question why these changes have not been implemented as a v3 API, rather than creating a breaking change to the existing API. Versioned APIs should be stable within the version.

Thirdly I question the naming of the new API - `files/search_v2` and `files/search/continue_v2` - a break from the existing naming scheme of simply appending `/continue` to receive additional pages of results. This means that the API is no longer consistent within itself (it previously was). You have to know which endpoint is a v2 endpoint, and to treat it differently.

Finally, in October it was announced that the old `/files/search` API was going to be removed and we were given less than 6 months to replace it with the new API. That's great... if you have a release cadence which fits into that timeframe, but not all projects do - let alone the latest version being installed in time.

I would urge you to reconsider removal of the 'old' v1 search API, especially in such a short timeframe, but really at all. Don't break APIs!

12 Replies 12

andrewnicols
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi @Greg-DB ,

I'm just wanting to confirm that you have now, indeed, canned the perfectly valid search API in favour of the problematic search_v2 API as announced? The end date you announced was 28th February and that date has now passed.

I'm very disappointed by the lack of meaningful response to the concerns that I have raised regarding the timeframe of this change.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@andrewnicols Thanks for the note. We have not actually yet retired the /2/files/search endpoint. The team is checking the usage and reviewing the feedback such as yours and may decide to extend this. I'll let you know when I have an official update on that.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Good news, the team has finished reviewing this and has decided to extend this, bringing the retirement date for /files/search to October 28. Hope this helps! 

Need more support?