cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Folder Metadata

Shared Folder Metadata

Kevin B.36
Collaborator | Level 8

The help on this topic is:

• shared_folder_id optional The ID of a specific shared folder.
  • include_membership Required if shared_folder_id is specified. If true, include a list of members and a list of groups for the shared folder.
  • show_unmounted optional This value, either true or false(default), determines whether the returned list of shared folders will include shared folders that the user has left (but may still rejoin).

My interpretation is that include_membership=True MUST have a shared folder ID.  Ideally I'd like to have include_membership WITHOUT a shared folder ID and get a JSON return with all the shared folders and all of the members of the share (basically in one REST request).

The other option, which I'm doing now, is to get the shared folder metadata and for every folder call shared folder metadata again supplying a shared folder id (retrieved from the original get shared folder metadata request) with include_membership =True.

Thanks,

kevin

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

It looks like you're referring to the Core API /shared_folders endpoint. The documentation means that if shared_folder_id is specified, you must also specify include_membership. However, that doesn't mean you can't use include_membership without a shared_folder_id. That means you can call /shared_folders and set include_membership=true without specifying a shared_folder_id, and it will return all of the shared folders along with the membership.

I just tried that and it worked for me. Give that a try and let me know if you run in to any trouble.

Kevin B.36
Collaborator | Level 8

Gregory,

Brilliant, works perfectly. Cuts my processing time down (for say user with 20 shared folders) by an order of magnitude, it's that significant.

Cheers,

Kevin

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Kevin B.36 Collaborator | Level 8
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?