cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short-lived tokens: iOS vs Android

Short-lived tokens: iOS vs Android

Robert S.138
Helpful | Level 7

After having successfully migrated my app in both the Android and the iOS platform, I am curious about something.  Why were the changes for Android so much more complicated than the changes for iOS?  For Android, I had to handle persisting the string version of a new DbxCredential object and still create a new DbxCredential object with a refresed token on every session.  And of course the linking to Dropbox required a new API call, Auth.startOAuth2PKCE, giving it scope parameters.  With iOS, the only change necessary was the new initial linking API to provide the option of scope parameters.  There was no messing around with creating a new credential object.  The token refreshing seems to be taken care of completely in background.  So my question is, what is so different between these two operating systems that the migrated Dropbox API for Android could not be as simple as it was for iOS?

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for writing this up! We appreciate the feedback. These SDKs don't share code with each other, and are implemented differently. I can't speak to why specifically that's the case, but it may just be due to them having different constraints and supporting different platforms. For instance, the Java SDK supports both Android and non-Android environments, whereas the Objective-C and Swift SDKs only support iOS/macOS. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?