cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: To use API v2 in iOS platform, we need an objective-C version

To use API v2 in iOS platform, we need an objective-C version

C. Tim
New member | Level 2

We didn't use swift in our app development for iOS devices.

To use API v2 in iOS platform, we need an objective-C version!!!

Please kindly provide an objective-C version!

53 Replies 53

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks everyone for all of the feedback! We read everything and sincerely appreciate the time taken to write it.

To be clear, we hear and understand the need for Objective-C support. As Steve mentioned earlier in the thread, we intended for Objective-C support to be available, but made a misjudgment about the technical barriers to making that possible. That unfortunately means it will take us longer than we intended to offer it.

That said, the good news is that API v1 a.k.a. the Core API is not deprecated, so you can continue to use it. We don't intend on deprecating the Core API for some time, and we will offer a long span of time for migration once we do.

Ari W.
New member | Level 1

@Gregory, thanks for the update. I just want to reiterate that for many of us, having any Swift code in our production apps is not an option at the moment and I would urge you to consider shipping a clean Objective-C Dropbox SDK -- not an Objective-C interface to the Swift SDK -- if you want developers to be able to use it.

There is no good reason as to why the SDK should be written in Swift at this point in time. A Swift wrapper around an Objective-C SDK works perfectly without excluding people, whereas the other way around is no good. Please see my previous comments if you need any clarification as to why.

TK K.
New member | Level 1

Thanks for the news, also very happy v1 will continue. If I could forward one more positive thought, if/when ya'll do v2 for objC it would be nice if it was an evolution not a revolution 😉

Just curious being a newb - what is in the v2 api functionally that is not in v1 other than oauth2 instead of oauth1? I am actually pretty happy with v1...

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Hi TK, we have an overview of what's new in API v2 in the blog post here:

https://blogs.dropbox.com/developers/2015/11/dropbox-api-v2-launches-today/

Raheel S.
Explorer | Level 3

@Gregory: any word on Datastores deprecation? Any delays there? 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Raheel, no updates on that. 

C. Tim
New member | Level 2

We need to keep using the deprecated Sync API, too.

Could you please delay the deprecation of Sync API?

Otherwise, we have no choice to disable Dropbox support but only offer iCloud support in our new apps.

Joris M.
New member | Level 2

"That unfortunately means it will take us longer than we intended to offer it." -> Does that mean that we will get an Obj.C API at some point?

TK K.
New member | Level 1

FWIW after looking I don't really need anything in v2 that badly - I do my own sync and fileid tracking using the rev field and found it pretty easy to integrate...

It might be nice to just see a point release that adds oauth2 to v1...

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

C. Tim, thanks for the feedback. I'll send this along as a request, but I can't make any promises. Just to clarify a bit though, the Sync SDK itself it built on the Core API and so should continue working, but it's no longer officially supported. The full details are in the blog post.

Joris, yes, we do intend on offering a solution for using API v2 from Objective-C. (And for reference, it is already possible to call the API v2 HTTPS endpoints directly if you want.)

TK, API v1 itself does already support OAuth 2 in addition to OAuth 1. I imagine you're talking about support for OAuth 2 in the SDK though, so I'll send this along as a feature request for that.

Need more support?