cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploading to team folders seemingly unsupported

Uploading to team folders seemingly unsupported

jared22
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

API : python

We have a paid business account. There are folders that are at the root of our business account that are shared with everyone on our team. We would like to be able to upload files, using the API, to these team folders. However, I can't figure out how to view this root business directory or upload a file to it.

To help clarify, this is an example of how our business directory looks:

Business Root 
-- Business Folder (the one we want to upload to) 
-- My Root (my root folder)

Whenever I try to do anything around listing the contents of my root or uploading a file, it makes my root directory "My Root" and not "Business Root". How can I upload to the "Business Folder"?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

It sounds like your team is using the "team space" configuration. You can upload to the team root via the API. To do so, you'll need to use the namespace IDs to specify which area you want to access. I recommend reading the Namespace Guide, which covers this in detail:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/reference/namespace-guide

In the Python SDK in particular, to specify a particular root, you should use `with_path_root`. For example:

dbx.with_path_root(dropbox.common.PathRoot.root("XXXXXXXXX")).files_list_folder("")

or:

dbx.with_path_root(dropbox.common.PathRoot.namespace_id("XXXXXXXXX")).files_list_folder("")

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

It sounds like your team is using the "team space" configuration. You can upload to the team root via the API. To do so, you'll need to use the namespace IDs to specify which area you want to access. I recommend reading the Namespace Guide, which covers this in detail:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/reference/namespace-guide

In the Python SDK in particular, to specify a particular root, you should use `with_path_root`. For example:

dbx.with_path_root(dropbox.common.PathRoot.root("XXXXXXXXX")).files_list_folder("")

or:

dbx.with_path_root(dropbox.common.PathRoot.namespace_id("XXXXXXXXX")).files_list_folder("")

jared22
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

That worked great.

I noticed that both 'dropbox.common.PathRoot' and 'with_path_root' are not mentioned in the python api documentation.  To help aid anyone in the future with this same problem, it would be very helpful to add this to the documentation. 

Thanks again for the help.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jared22 Explorer | Level 3
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?